Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Beginning Steps to Wanting to Learn Math

If a student is going to learn math, the student is going to have to want to learn it. There are many different ways a parent, teacher or friend can encourage a child to want to learn math. Puzzles, [computer] games, websites, books, and blocks are great ways for children to become interested in learning. Simple card games such as 'Go Fish' and 'Rummy' will help children begin to understand how to group numbers and put numbers in consecutive order. Choosing activities that they enjoy doing is much more efficient than giving them things that are strictly memorization.
 
However, flash cards can be helpful if the teacher continuously repeats the set. While using flashcards, children may become frustrated when they do not know the answer. Using a multiplication chart as well may increase the child's ability to remember certain equations. There are so many options that provide fun ways for children to start to learn math without even realizing it.

When I was starting to understand the basics of math, my parents were able to make the process fun for me. Around the house, someone would randomly ask me a question about how many objects were around the room. Not only did my parents try and consistently ask me these sorts of questions at home, but anywhere they had the chance. For example, when my mother and I went to the store, she would ask me simple questions, “how many rectangle shaped boxes are in the shopping cart?” Of course, at the time, these questions only occurred at the beginning of the shopping spree due to the vast amount of piled high groceries my mother would buy. This is emphasizing the ability to count the number of boxes and separate the objects by their shape. These questions could become more complicated including the color, size, and weight of the object. Sometimes she would also ask me, “can you take five apples, two oranges, and three bananas from the display?” Again, this would allow me to count different types of fruits by placing each one into the shopping cart. One of my favorite things to do was to weigh what ever I could get my hands on in the scales above the fruits and vegetable isles. Without even knowing this was a way of learning math, reading a scale.

Computer games were very influential for me and I enjoyed them. When I was in elementary school, at home I got to play “Reader Rabbit.” It was not only a fun games, but was filled with educational aspects. “Each fun activity has many play levels, progressing from the easiest to most difficult” according to the description on the box. “Reader Rabbit” had different levels of education for more than one age group. So when I was able to complete the 6-9 set, I could move on to a higher level and still enjoy playing and learning. For me, to play this was a reward for doing something good, I didn't get to play it all of the time because I would be on it for as long as I could. While I was in grade school during computer lab, sometimes we would be able to go onto the computes to play games on the Internet. A very common site that we were directed to go to was: http://www.coolmath.com/. If you were ever to have the opportunity to access this website, an all time favorite of my class was the Lemonade Stand. This game would allow students to try and figure out of to make profit selling lemonade. It would make them buy, paper cups, lemons, sugar, and ice. There are many resources out there for children to learn math in a fun and educational way. People should take full advantage of all of the programs and helpful tools to teach younger children math.

2 comments:

  1. The Lemonade Stand game! That was my favorite! But I agree, it can be hard to get kids interested in math. I also found that fun computer games involving math helped me gain an interest. Being that both of my parents are in fields related to engineering and math, they are always willing to help me. That's very fortunate for me. While I still don't particularly like math, I understand that it is an important part of education and life that I should know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How important it was that your parents were so involved in your education! Unfortunately, not all students have that which makes your job as a teacher more demanding.

    ReplyDelete